How to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
How to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
1. INFORMAL LETTERS
2. INFORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, (Comma & Hey!) 2. START A LETTER Thank for the previous letter OR apologize for not writing before, one or two questions regarding family or friends. (1 paragraph that is short — Informal someone to do my homework letters to strangers: good reason why you are writing — 3. BODY Answer the details which you have now been told, express your interest to understand more info on that which was previously mentioned. Make comments that are positive respond 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER with a few questions so your receiver feels, motivated to reply. Give news, be emotional, plan a date, leave contact details (1 short pragraph ) 5. CLOSING LINE (1 line 10 – 15 words) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (1 or 2 words) You might use contractions or phrasal verbs ?
3. INFORMAL LETTER 1. Dear Martin, 2. TO START OUT A LETTER • Thank you for the letter. It had been great to listen to away from you. How’s your new baby? • thank you for your letter and sorry for not replying sooner. • Sorry We haven’t written for such a long time. I’ve been really busy lately. So you bought a house that is new! How will it be?
4. 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE • Love, • Lots of love, • Cheers! Take it easy! • Best wishes, • most of the best, Marking Code: Capitalization, Organisation, Punctuation, Register/Formality, Sentence Structure, Spelling, Wrong form, Word order, Wrong tense, Wrong word, Word(s) missing, Omit word. INFORMAL LETTER 5. TO END A LETTER • Give my love to… • Ok, i have got to go now, so see you soon! • That’s about all. Do write soon and let me know everything you’ve been doing. • I look ahead to seeing you soon. Thank you in advance for the help.
5. “Task letter”
6. 1. Hello Simon, 2. I’m glad you have in mind my country. As your friend said, I’d like us to email each other to simply help me boost your English. 3. i’d like to begin by letting you know a bit about myself and my family. My name’s Ivo and I also live in Kutna Hora, that will be about 45 minutes from Prague by car. I used to operate for a company that is medical now I’m learning to be a salesperson. Later on I want a working job where I am able to travel for could work. I’ve recently been to some places in Europe but I have never gone to an country that is english-speaking. I live aware of my parents, which will be convenient, when I need not do housework that is much my meals are cooked for me. My younger brother is their studies at university. Although he could be four years younger than me, we get on quite nicely. We both enjoy snowboarding and music. 4. What about you? Perhaps you have gone to the Czech Republic? It could be great in the event that you could come over one day and then we could fix a meeting up. The trend is to let me know your plans? 5. Anyway, i have to go and obtain on with might work! Looking forward to hearing away from you soon. 6. Best wishes, 7. Siore (180-190 words)
7. FORMAL LETTERS
8. FORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, To strangers: To whom it could concern, 2. START A LETTER State the good reason why you will be writing. (1 short paragraph) 3. BODY Answer the info which you have already been told. Give information about the presssing issue you will be currently talking about. Respond the task references 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER by expressing what do you wish to get as a result or answer. (Offer solutions, ask for something in exchange). Leave contact information (1 short pragraph ) 5. CLOSING LINE (look ahead to ______ing ….) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (2 words) You might not use contractions NOR phrasal verbs ?
9. FORMAL LETTER ORGANISING THE INFORMATION Firstly Secondly In addition Lastly / Last but not least 5. TO END A LETTER I am getting excited about hearing away from you soon. Don’t use contractions. Dear Sir/Madam, Dear Mr. / Mrs. Smith Yours faithfully Yours sincerely 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE yours sincerely, yours faithfully,
10. 1. Dear Mr. Smith, 2. I am writing to apply for the position of . that we saw advertised in “The Guardian” newspaper. 3. I am 23 yrs . old and also at the minute I am studying … at …. .Having studied English for more than seven years i will be a fluent speaker regarding the language. My qualifications also include Proficiency certificates in both german and french. In terms of experience is concerned, I have worked as . for . As for my personality, people let me know i will be . 4. I feel i might be suited to this job because I. . This may give me the chance to ….. . I would also just like the opportunity to. 5. I look ahead to hearing yours sincerely, 7. Siorella Gonzales from you. 6
11. FCE ESSAY BEFORE YOU BEGIN Think of an answer into the Essay question! Plan your essay. (Brainstorm for 5-10 minutes) Manage some time. (Aprox. 40 minutes) WHEN YOU FINISH be sure you have expressed yourself clearly. Check your writing for grammar & spelling mistakes. TIPS NO contractions, colloquial expressions or ‘chatty’ style. Use complex grammar structures and sophisticated vocabulary Use conditional sentences and all PRESENT,PAST, FUTURE tenses. Give your OPINION IN THE END, NOT in the beginning.
12. The introduction should: • Start general and go til specific • be 3 to 4 sentences long. • have a sentence or 2 about the topic as a whole. • have a sentence telling the reader if the essay will once look at or both sides associated with issue. • have a question/idea that you will answer in your essay. (Paragraph 4) the final outcome should: • Start with :: in summary” ,“In the end”, “To sum up” etc… • be 2 to 3 sentences long. • Include a directory of your main points. • have a reference into the question that is originaltry to rephrase it). • have your opinion: “I believe…” I think” “I reckon” • haven’t any new information.
13. STRUCTURING YOUR ESSAY Mathematics! • Most people talk about 10-12 words per line. • you must write a total of 190 words, therefore you should come up with 18 lines as a whole. INTRODUCTION: (general thought) 3 lines (30-40 words) Paragraph 1/ Idea 1 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 2 / Idea 2 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 3 / Idea 3 4 lines (40 words) in summary, 3 lines (30-40 words)
14. OUTLINE I. INTRODUCTION II. CONTRAST OF ARGUMENTS A. ADVANTAGES B. DISADVANTAGES (PROS AND CONS). C. GIVING OPINIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE TITLE. III. CONCLUSION
15. MEETING THE PROSPECTIVE
16. TASK 3: a. Write the draft that is first of essay in an item of paper. (10 min) b. Check your partner’s draft that is first.
17. ESSAY LINKS http://teacher.sch olastic.com/activiti es/writing/persuas iveflash/transition alwords.htm http://www.flo- joe.co.uk/fce/stud ents/writing/linkin g/ Example question In class you’ve been discussing technology. Now, your English teacher has asked one to write an essay. Write an essay using most of the notes and provide grounds for your point of view. You must write your answer in 140-190 words in an appropriate style. Nowadays, technology is everywhere. Has technology made people’s lives better or worse? Notes Write about: 1.medical science 2.the internet 3.your idea that is own